Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Sunday, October 26, 2008

I admit.....I'm an idiot

I grew up with a military dad who always told the time in military time so you would think that I would have learned it and could tell you what time 1900 hrs is. I've coped and when needed can do the math and figure out that it is 7pm.....well at least I thought I could. That is until tonight.
Tonight at the commissary they were having a huge sale. They were supposed to have Halloween candy, soda, cereal and other things. I could have swore that when I read about it last week I thought it was to begin at 5pm. There was a hockey game tonight so I thought I will go to the sale, get dinner, and then go to the hockey game not a big deal. So for the past week I kept thinking that it started at 5pm.
I got up there about 5:30 and there was a line - thought it was odd but went ahead and parked; got out, looked up at the marquee where it announced the sale to double check the time and realized that I got the time wrong. It said that it was supposed to start at 1900 so I thought okay I read it wrong - no problem I'll just wait. I only have to wait another 30 minutes. HELLO???? Did I forget how to do math? So when I really thought about it I realized that 1900 was actually 7pm. I'm thinking hello idiot; earth to Laura. I decide that I don't have time before the hockey game but it goes until 11 so I'll just come back after the hockey game.
Skip to about 10:15 when I pull up to the commissary and the parking lot is pretty empty. There are only a couple of people loading stuff into the car. I think sweet; this is going to be fast with hardly anybody there. I get out of the car look up at the marquee and see that it is supposed to end at 2200. So I stop and think, "Am I too late?" I start doing the math in my head and almost pull out my calculator to make sure that 2200 doesn't mean 11. Again another earth to Laura - 11 is almost the easiest one to figure out. Everybody knows that 11 is 2300 hrs. But then I have to ask a bagger who is still out in the parking lot what time the sale ended because I was sure it was going to 11. I don't know why I thought it was going from 5-11. Why the time 1900-2200 hrs didn't really register with me. Needless to say I took 2 pointless trips up on post. I promise I'm not blond - maybe I need to get my eyes checked. Or maybe the military could just learn to tell time the regular way it would make my life so much easier!!

Just a quick update - we have decided to take our house off the market and rent it out. Since July when we put it up for sale we had only 1 person look at it. It was the agent that we decided to list it with. Even after we listed it with an agent and had it on the MLS for about 2 weeks still not a soul came to look at it. So after alot of stress, tears, and prayers we have decided to rent it out. We are hoping that it will rent really fast. I just have to give the military 2 weeks notice so they can get the movers over to pack up the house then I can be out and I'll just move with home to my mom's house. So it has been alittle stressful but since we decided to rent I have felt much better. Though ask me in a couple weeks if it hasn't rented if I still feel better. I just blame my earlier blond moment on all the stress I've been under. :)
Eric still doesn't have a date yet as to when he is supposed to be home. There are rumors flying like crazy as to all these different times. We are just hoping it will be before December 13 when all of his family will be here for Eric's brother Adam's graduation. We will see I guess.

2 comments:

Jessica S. said...

when anything is ever on military time I always have to count on my fingers, 12, 13, 14, 15....

Liana Brooks said...

I pulled up at 6 to get milk, just milk. Saw the line and drove to the walmart on Exit 10.

I didn't even realize there was a big sale going on, and I wasn't going to wait for it.